Culinary Trail - Meat me at The Star - Butchery skills and rare breed meats
1. We gather at The Star Inn at Harome
Your day begins at the famed Star Inn at Harome where over light refreshments you will meet your guide for the day and others partaking of this culinary trail. You will take with you a Yorkshire produce packed lunch created by The Star Inn's chefs.
2. Taste Tradition's rare breeds
First stop is the Ashbridge family's farm at Cold Kirby where for three generations they have applied traditional farming methods to the breeding, rearing and finishing of livestock. Since 2004, with his mother, Charles Ashbridge who started breeding his own at the tender age of six, has been marketing the meat from the family farm as Taste Tradition, a name that fits perfectly with the ethos of the farm and the rare breeds that take centre stage. This visit will help you better understand traditional approaches to meat production and the value of the rare breeds today. Then, travel down Sutton Bank with spectacular views of the Vale of York to the Taste Tradition butchery in Thirsk.
3. Don your butcher's apron
Next on the agenda is a butchery skills master class where Taste Tradition's butchers will teach you how to butcher a pig and make the most of each of the cuts. What's more working in pairs you will turn half a pig into cuts to enjoy at home. When you leave the butchery en route to The Star for dinner, Taste Tradition's butchers will vacuum pack the meat and courier a quarter pig equivalent to your home address.
4. Dinner at The Star Inn
While you have been on your culinary trail, Andrew Pern and his chefs will have created a sumptuous three-course gourmet dinner featuring rare breed meats from Taste Tradition. A fitting end to your trail.
- This trail starts at 11.30 and ends with dinner served at 18.00
- Your trail is escorted and includes transport between venues
- Please bring wet weather clothing and wear footwear suitable for a farm visit and a change of shoes for the visit to the butchery
- Your quarter pig will be couriered to your home for delivery on the Tuesday following your butchery skills workshop.
- There will be an opportunity to purchase copies of Andrew Pern's stunning books Loose Birds and Game and Black Pudding and Foie Gras
- Dinner drinks are not included
Details & Booking
- Unique visit to Taste Tradition's rare breeds farm
- Panoramic scenery at Sutton Bank Farm
- Butchery skills masterclass
- Vacuum-packed pig quarter couriered to your home
- Superb three-course rare breeds dinner at The Sta Innr, Harome
- Expert guide
- Private transport
- Morning coffee and picnic lunch
- Approximately 10 hours
£240.00 per person
Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Gather at 11.30am
Sat, 7 Sep 2013
Gather at 11.30am