Food Trail - The perfect cure - A Kitchen Social course - An introduction to charcuterie
The art of charcuterie is thought to date back to beyond the ancient Egyptians and it’s been used in some form in virtually every culture since. In Britain there’s been a growing interest in how to smoke, salt and cure as more and more people realise that tasty, good quality pancetta, bresaola and chorizo and the like don’t have to be the preserve of Italian delis, good though it is.
Your charcuterie course will be held in the stunning Yorkshire Food Finder kitchen just eight miles from York and will be led by butchery and charcuterie expert Chris Moorby, who has been invited to run the course by Sue Nelson, the founder of Yorkshire Food Finder. Chris has been involved in the meat industry for more than 35 years, including 20 years imparting his vast butchery knowledge to students at Leeds City College.
The course will take you through the basics of producing your own charcuterie. You will learn elementary techniques such as curing your own bacon, creating prosciutto and perhaps even making your own piece of bresaolo – but whatever you produce you’ll come away with enough understanding of this ancient craft to be able to experiment at home. Your course finishes with a late lunch prepared by Sue Nelson, the Flat Cap Cook, which naturally, will feature rustic charcuterie fare. Feel free to browse Yorkshire Food Finder's eclectic library of nearly 1,300 cookery books
A copy of the course notes will beyours to take home. In addition, there is an option to purchase prime cuts of rare breed pork from the pig used for demonstration purposes.
- As this course involves working with raw meat you will be asked to self certify that you have not have not suffered from any sickness and/or diarrhoea within the 48 hours prior to the start of the course. If you cannot self certify, it will not be possible for you to participate on the course
Details & Booking
- Charcuterie course by expert Chris Moorby
- Take home the fruits of your labour
- Course notes
- Further ideas for you to try at home
- Access to Yorkshire Food Finder's library of nearly 1,300 cookery books
- Late lunch featuring Yorkshire charcuterie
- Approximately six hours
£100.00 per person
Mon, 7 Apr 2014
Gather at 09.30am
Mon, 29 Sep 2014
Gather at 09.30am