Food Trail - Smoke signals - Smoked fish and more
1. The Star @ Sancton
Your trail begins at Ben and Lindsey Cox's award winning Star @ Sancton. Here, over light refreshments, you will meet your guide for the day and others joining this culinary trail. You will take with you a Yorkshire produce picnic lunch prepared for you by the chefs at the Star @ Sancton.
2. The fishing that makes the difference
During your day and depending on the tides we will visit shore fisherman Andrew Sanderson as he tends his nets from the beach on the Holderness Coast. His style of fishing is ancient and unique, and is not seen anywhere else in Britain. Only six fishermen have licenses on the stretch of coast from Bridlington to Spurn Point at the mouth of Humber Estuary. Everyone we take to meet Andrew is captivated by what he does and the way he does it - this truly is a wonderful opportunity to see sustainable and simple fishing at its best.
3. The Staal Smokehouse
The Staal Smokehouse in Long Riston may be new, but it is fast making a name for Justin Staal and produce across Yorkshire with both leading chefs and on the table at home. Before setting-up his smokehouse with help from wife Georgina, Justin had previously been working in a niche sector of the luxury travel industry arranging bespoke holidays for avid fly fishermen and women. On his travels, which took him from Russia’s Kola Peninsula to the sand flats of the Seychelles, he saw at first hand how people the world over smoked and cured meat, game and fish, and became hooked. Now you can learn at first-hand how Justin smokes both fish and meat and why his produce is attracting so much attention.
4. The Star @ Sancton for dinner
Then it’s back to the Star @ Sancton where Ben and Lindsey will lay on a scrumptious three-course gourmet meal featuring some of the produce you’ve seen during your trail.
- Footwear and seasonally appropriate outerwear appropriate to a beach visit
- This tour is escorted and includes transport between venues
- Access may be restricted for the physically impaired
- Dinner drinks are not included
Details & Booking
- Meet Justin Staal at his top restaurant-supplying smokehouse
- Learn about the traditions of air-drying and smoking
- Enjoy a picnic lunch and gourmet dinner at the award-winning Star @ Sancton
- Explore the picturesque Southern Wolds
- See ancient and unique East Yorkshire coast beach net fishing
- Expert guide
- Private transport
- Approximately 8 hours
£125.00 per person
Thu, 29 Jun 2017
Gather at 10.30am
Thu, 26 Oct 2017
Gather at 10.30am
Producers involved in this trail
Chefs involved in this trail
The Star @ Sancton's owner and chef Ben Cox thrives on sourcing the very best of local produce to put on the menu.
Need somewhere local to stay?
The southern wolds is a charming area to explore, full of surprises once you leave the main roads behind. For tranquility, how about a walk along the track-bed...